A Beautiful Back Yard

A Beautiful Back Yard
A Beautiful Back Yard

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Home Inspections and Setbacks

What a wonderful and crazy couple of weeks! After successfully negotiating an offer on one of my listings just before my clients went out of town, I then needed to help them find a house to move into immediately upon their return. In the interim, I managed to sprain my ankle skiing, so it was with me on crutches that we went to view 6 potential new homes. They liked one well enough to return to it that afternoon and then made an offer! 

One day before that offer was accepted, I received word that an offer other clients of mine had put in had also been accepted. So, time to set up home inspections. I called upon a very reputable, thorough, licensed home inspection company with whom I had had great results previously. They inspected every inch of each house that they could access, including setting up RADON air tests and testing well water.

But with the results at each home came some bad news: elevated levels in Radon at both houses. Why would someone be concerned about radon? Because extended exposure to Radon can lead to significantly increased chance of getting lung cancer.

Now what? For one of the clients, they will install a Radon Mitigation System as soon as they have closed on the home, prior to their moving in. The additional expense of about $1200-$2000 was not a deterrent for them. For the others, the seller had included a Radon insurance policy with their disclosures, so the next step is arranging to have them either install a system or provide compensation for the cost of the system. Either way, the clients will get a system and still plan to move into their dream home.

Fortunately for me, almost all of these negotiations could be handled from my phone and computer, so I didn't need to hobble around on my crutches to get it all resolved. I love working with my clients, no matter what we run into. I am glad to know that I have a number of wonderful resources to utilize no matter the situation.


Click HERE to see how I can help you find or sell your home.
Follow me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment